Institutional Food Workers major/degree is a program that prepares individuals in production and service used in governmental, commercial, or independently owned institutional food establishments and related food industry occupations.
Includes instruction in selecting, storing, preparing, and serving food and food products; basic nutrition; sanitation, and food safety; the use and care of commercial equipment; serving techniques; and the operation of institutional food establishments.
Search for colleges that offer a degree in Food Workers Major (use the College Search feature and enter "institutional food” in the major search field). Read the school’s department pages, they are often loaded with useful and specific information about the field.
What can you do with a major/degree in Culinary Services? Learn more on the Careers/Jobs/Internships in the Culinary Services page.
What can you do with a major/degree in Institutional Food Workers Major?
You may be able to start your career in this field with on-the-job training. However, certificate and associate degrees are plentiful and often helpful when it comes to job advancement. Institutional Food Workers typically do the following:
- Clean and sanitize work areas, equipment, utensils, and dishes
- Weigh or measure ingredients, such as meats and liquids
- Prepare fruit and vegetables for cooking
- Cut meats, poultry, and seafood and prepare them for cooking
- Mix ingredients for salads
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage
- Take and record the temperature of food and food storage areas
- Place food trays over food warmers for immediate service
Trade Associations and Professional Organizations in Institutional Food Workers Major
Professional associations are groups of professionals dedicated to topics in specific fields. Professional associations provide a wealth of online resources, some of which are geared specifically towards students. These organizations typically also host conferences and events, providing great opportunities for learning and networking across your field of interest.
Publications/Magazines in Institutional Food Workers Major